In 1895 Sodus Center was a station stop on the Sodus Point and Southern Railroad. The first building here was a saw mill and, perhaps, a dwelling erected by Hawk and Taylor as early as 1808. About the same time Silas F. Andrews built a grist mill here. In 1810 it was owned by Elijah Lemanon, and afterwards in turn by Barley & Andrews, the Van Wickles, and Case & Roberts. At one time a carding mill and foundry were operated here. In 1895 it contained a post office, a district school, churches, and miscellaneous industries typical in a small, rural village.