Sodus Town Hall is located at 14 Mill Street, Sodus, NY 14551; phone: 315-483-6934.
The first town meeting of the present day Sodus was held in 1811 at the house of Daniel Arms and the following offices were chosen: Nathaniel Merrils, supervisor; Joseph Hathaway, town clerk; Jenks Pullen and Dan H. Harvey, constables.
The Town of Sodus was the birthplace of Arbor Day. In 1881 Edward C, Delano of Sodus Center wrote an article that was published in the Wayne County Alliance titled "Shade Trees." Mr. Delano urged that shade trees be planted in all the town's school yards. In that year he was elected Wayne County commissioner and worked tirelessly for this cause. It was, however, 1888 before the New York State legislature proclaimed, officially, Arbor Day. The first Arbor Day circulars were sent out from Albany in the spring of 1889. Some of the trees planted in Soduson that first Arbor Day still stand. [www.co.wayne.ny.us, accessed August, 2010]