banner search whats new site index home

Alton


The name for Alton was suggested by Mr. Gates in memory of his native place in Connecticut. The first clearing was made and the first house built by a Mr. Barnard in 1812; a few years afterward a saw mill was erected and placed in operation. In 1895 the village had several churches, a school, a hotel and a number of commercial interests. At that time, Eugene Philo was the postmaster. [1]

  1. George W. Cowles and H. P Smith, editors, Landmarks of Wayne County New York, D.Mason & Company, Publishers, Syracuse, 1895.

Alton Map

Street Names
Ridge Road • Route 14 • Route 143 • Shaker Road

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2017 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 123796 • Privacy