Balmville is a small cross roads hamlet situated north of the limits of the city of Newburgh. The area was first settled in the winter of 1708-1709 by a party of 53 Palatine refugees from the war torn middle Rhine region of Germany. Sponsored by the English government, this party was led by the Reverend Joshua Kockerthal, a Lutheran Minister. The group also included one carpenter, one smith, once clerk, and eight husbandmen, one of who was also a vintner. The group was settled on land between the Hudson River and Qussaick Creek known as the Evans Patent. Captain John Evans, Commander of the Man-of-War Richmond had been granted the Patent several years earlier by Governor Fletcher. That grant was later annulled.
In November 1711 Captain Evans petitioned the Queen for the return of his land grant. At that same time the Palatines living on the property petitioned Governor Hunter for the land. In 1713, Augustine Graham, Surveyor-General of the Province of New York, received orders to survey the newly established land patent along the Quassaick Creek for the Palatine settlement.
On August 12, 1714, a patent for the 2,190 acres of land was granted to the Palatines. Known as the "Palatine Parish by the Quassaick," the land grant extended two and one-half miles along the river north of the creek and .8 miles inland. The patent covers most of the modern city of Newburgh. The area of Balmville includes portions of the Edmonds and Harrison patents. Specifically the area just north of the Palatine patent. Prior to the Revolution, the area was occupied by Michael Demott and others. In 1786 the land, included 408 acres was deed to Samuel Edmonds, James Demott, John Roe, William Bloomer and Eleazer Lucey by patent dates November, 1786.
Bloomer resided in the community before and after the Revolutionary War. A blacksmith by trade, his shop is recorded as being opposite the tree known as the Balm of Gilead tree.