Newburgh Town Hall is located at 1496 Route 300, Newburgh NY 12550; phone: 845-564-4552.
Organized as a town in 1788; the village of Newburgh was incorporated from town land in 1800, and became a city in 1865.
Early settlement followed the mills that grew up along the Quasaaick, Tent Stone Meadow, and Gidneytown Creeks. There were grist, woolen, and paper mills; a black gunpowder manufactory was on land that, today, is Algonquin Park. Brickyards (Rose and Jova) were found at the banks of the Hudson. Many farms operated in the town; while they were the primary source for food in Newburgh Village, New York City was also a convenient marketplace via the Hudson River.
Through the last decades of the 20th century, the Town of Newburgh transformed from a farming community to a bedroom community, sped-on by the creation of Interstates 87 and 84. Because the junction of these Interstates is located within the town, Newburgh is sometimes called the "Crossroads of the Northeast."