In 1878 Mellenville was a station on the Hudson and Albany Railroad. Originally called Centerville, it was renamed in 1837 for Mr. Mellen, who built the railroad through the area. Families of early settlers included the Millers, Storms, Philips, Harders, and Hortons. George Philip and Stephen Miller were early merchants here. In 1878 Mellenville had 2 taverns and several stores, two hosiery factories, and a paper mill.