Photo: Teviotdale (Walter Livingston House), ca. 1774, Linlithgo, Columbia County, NY. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Photographed by user:User:John S. Hirth (own work), 2013, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2014.
The Columbia County Courthouse is located at 401 Union Street, Hudson NY 12534; phone: 518-828-7858.
The county was organized in 1786. The seven original towns, erected in 1788, were Kinderhook, Canaan, Claverack, Hillsdale, Clermont, Germantown and Livingston.
Prior to colonization in the early 1600s, the inhabitants were, primarily, Mohican Indians. The earliest settlement grew up along the Hudson River, supplying goods to ships enroute between New Amsterdam and Fort Orange.