Burgaw Historic District
The Burgaw Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document. [†] Adaptation copyright © 2012, The Gombach Group.
Incorporated in 1879, the town of Burgaw owes its existence to the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad, which was completed in 1840 between the port of Wilmington and the town of Weldon on the Roanoke River near the Virginia border. The tracks were laid through what is now Pender County in 1838, and a depot and post office were established on Burgaw Creek at a place first called Cypress Grove but renamed Burgaw Depot in 1854. When Pender County was divided from New Hanover County in 1875, the railroad offered to donate surrounding land for a town if Burgaw Depot were chosen as site of the county seat. A civil engineer employed by the railroad divided the town into blocks and lots providing for streets, railroad facilities, churches, schools, cemeteries, and a centrally located courthouse. In recognition of the generous donation by the railroad, the town's streets were named after railroad officials. As the post-Civil War agricultural economy of Pender County encouraged the division of former large plantations into smaller farms, the railroad offered expanding markets for the farmers' produce.
Burgaw experienced growth as a center of transportation and commerce, as well as a county seat. The citizens of the town worked cooperatively in promoting educational opportunities, building religious edifices, and establishing social institutions. In addition to a small commercial area composed of intact brick buildings from the first third of the twentieth century, the town retains a diverse mix of modest and sophisticated domestic architecture from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The intact character of the Burgaw's commercial buildings, its well-kept and attractive residential neighborhoods, along with the picturesque courthouse square containing the handsome 1934 Pender County courthouse (National Register 1970), combine to make Burgaw one of the state's best preserved railroad towns.
Historical Background, Community Development and Planning Contexts
The history of Burgaw is intertwined with the development of railroads through southeastern North Carolina. Work on the Wilmington and Raleigh railroad line began in 1836 when the first tracks were laid. By 1840, the last spike of the track was driven, creating the longest single line of track in the world at 161-1/2 miles. By 1849, a post office had been established at Cypress Grove, New Hanover County (Reaves, p.1). On January 24, 1854, the name was officially changed from Cypress Grove to Burgaw Depot. In 1855, the Wilmington and Raleigh Railroad Company became the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad. Serving as one of the life-lines of the Confederacy, the Wilmington and Weldon railroad carried troops as well as supplies from the port of Wilmington to the battlefields of Virginia. Burgaw Depot experienced much activity during the war (Reaves, p.2).
On February 12, 1875, Pender County, named for General William Pender of the Confederate States Army, was created from New Hanover County. When the campaign for the location of the county seat occurred, the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad took a lively interest in having it located at Burgaw. The railroad agreed to donate land for the town if the county would put the courthouse there. W.H. James, a civil engineer with the railroad, examined the land at Burgaw Depot lying between the railroad and Burgaw Creek and reported it a good location for a town and well situated for drainage. He divided a seventy-three-acre site into blocks and lots, providing for streets, railroad facilities, and a centrally located courthouse. Other sites were set aside for churches, schools, and cemeteries. On February 6, 1876, the company formally deeded the town tract to the Pender County Board of Commissioners and by June of the same year, seventy-five lots had been sold (Reaves, p.5).
The town was laid out in a systematic manner with wide streets running north and south, east and west. In recognition of the generosity of the railroad, many of the town's streets were named after railroad officials. Bridgers Street was named after Col. Robert Rufus Bridgers, then president of the railroad; Fremont Street after Col. S.L. Fremont, who had been the general superintendent of the railroad; Cowan Street after a former president of the railroad; MacRae Street for one of the railroad's directors; Dickerson Street, after a man prominent in the formation of the railroad (Reaves, p.5).
In August of 1877, Burgaw was selected for the county seat over South Washington (now known as Watha). By an act of the North Carolina General Assembly, the county seat was named Stanford. Incorporated in 1879, the town changed its name to Burgaw, after a tribe of Indians called the Burghaws, who had inhabited the eastern part of the county (Bloodworth, p.22). The name was likely favored over Stanford because of a nearby waterway known as Burgaw Creek which is included on the Collet map of 1770. Burgaw grew slowly, with early citizens building homes in town, while simultaneously maintaining their rural plantations. Lacking a place to worship or attend school, in 1879 a committee of citizens erected a two-story building called the Male and Female Academy. Used principally as a school, the building also hosted church services, Sunday School, and community dances. In addition, the academy served as the first courthouse (Bloodworth, p.24).
In May of 1880, M.M. Moore was elected mayor of Burgaw (Reaves, p.9). That same year, the railroad agreed to transport materials for the construction of county buildings at cost; while for individuals, twenty percent would be deducted for one year. A committee met to discuss plans for a two-story courthouse. A.H. Paddison manufactured the bricks on site, while contractors Messrs. Ellington, Royster, Smith and Company of Raleigh erected the building for $9,856.00. Pender County Superior Court held its first session in the new courthouse on December 17, 1883 (Library Files, courthouse).
During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the area around Burgaw began to develop as a truck farming region. In addition to older staple crops including cotton, corn, ground peas, and naval stores, vast quantities of strawberries and other fruits and vegetables were produced for shipment by rail to northern markets. In response to this increased and more varied agricultural production, the original c.1850 train depot, was expanded upon in 1898 to accommodate increased passengers and additional freight. Expansion of the Burgaw depot occurred at a time when railroads were expanding and consolidating at a rapid pace in North Carolina and the nation as a whole. In 1900, the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad consolidated with other lines to form the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.
Churches organized in the town as early as 1880; that year the congregation of the Macedonia African Methodist Episcopal Church organized. In 1883, the congregation erected a frame church on the corner of North Walker and East Ashe streets on a 1/2-acre plat donated by the railroad. In 1915, under the leadership of the Rev. T.S. Marsh, the church enlarged and remodeled, adding brick veneer to the exterior. The church continues to serve its members and is one of the oldest churches in Burgaw (Library Files, AME Church Historical pamphlet).
Several Burgaw congregations employed the Academy building for their initial worship services. The Burgaw Presbyterian Church held its first service in the Male and Female Academy on Friday, June 13, 1879. Later that same year, the congregation erected a frame church on the corner of East Fremont and South Walker Streets. Renovations and additions in 1919 to the original church resulted in the handsome double tower Gothic Revival church which stands today (Library Files, Burgaw Presbyterian Church History).
Organized on September 13, 1884, the Burgaw Baptist Church also met in the Academy building until the late 1890s. On March 7, 1892, the church purchased a lot for $80.00 on the corner of East Bridgers and North Wright streets. Members of the congregation, including John Wright Bowen who cut timber off his land and hauled it into town, contributed to the building of their first church. The simple frame church served the congregation until the construction of the present brick church in 1948 (Library Files, Burgaw Baptist Church History).
The Burgaw Methodist Church dates to 1896 when camp meeting type services were held. In 1900, the newly organized Atlantic Coast Line Railroad donated a piece of land to the congregation, which they traded for another lot located on the northwest corner of Bridgers and Walker streets. While their initial services were held in the Academy building, plans were underway by 1903 to construct a sanctuary. This first frame building served the congregation until 1928 when the present brick Gothic Revival church building was constructed (Library Files, Burgaw Methodist Church History).
In 1887, the Pender County Commissioners contracted for the erection of a two-story brick jail at Burgaw. The estimated cost of construction was $2,860.00. On February 2, 1888, a ball was held in the new jail before contractors turned over the building to the county (Reaves, p.20). The building served as the county's correctional facility until replaced in 1924 with the Mission Revival-style building on East Wilmington Street. Currently vacant, the 1924 jail was replaced in 1978 by a modern facility located on North Walker Street.
As the town grew, many social clubs were organized. On June 25, 1888, a young men's "Cleveland and Fowle" Club organized. A "Tennyson Literary Club" formed in 1897, and the following year, a lodge of Odd Fellows was planned in Burgaw. The Burgaw Cycle Club built a bicycle track in 1897, which circled the courthouse square and was the scene of many exciting races (Reaves, p.30).
In October, 1896, the Burgaw Institute for blacks was organized by the executive board of the Middle District Association. The board of directors included Rev. E.J. Bell, K.M. Gavins, Rev. W.M. DeVane, R. Royal, J.L. Fennell, Rev. I.M. Powers, and G.L. Smith. The first school was held in a small one-room frame building.
The first businesses in Burgaw opened at approximately the same time the town incorporated. A commercial district developed along Fremont and Wright streets, opposite the courthouse square. As early as 1878, Mr. A.H. Williams was managing a hotel in Burgaw (Reaves, p.6). Livery stables and general merchandise stores served the town's citizens and farmers from the surrounding area. A canning factory, a grist mill, and a cotton mill, all in business by 1889, reflected the dependent nature of the local economy on agriculture (Reaves, p.22).
A destructive fire struck Burgaw on December 10, 1899. Originating in the feed room of W.N. Rivenbark's livery stable, it destroyed the W.D. Croom and Brother store and the Carter and Brice Stables and damaged a blacksmith's shop, the Burgaw Drug Company, and the Burgaw Hotel (Reaves, p.32). As the early frame buildings succumbed to the ravages of weather and fire, they were replaced with the more durable brick buildings which line the streets today.
By 1900, Burgaw's population had increased to about 600 (U.S. Census, 1900). Two years later, the newly incorporated Pender Publishing Company announced they would publish a weekly newspaper (Reaves, p.34). On March 24, 1904, the first steps were taken to install an electric generating plant at Burgaw (Reaves, p.36). While long distance phone lines reached Burgaw in 1902, actual telephone service was not established until 1906 (Reaves, p.36). By January 25, 1907, the Bank of Pender on the corner of West Fremont and South Wrights streets had been completed. Of white pressed brick, the building contained five office rooms on the second floor, with the bank, J.R. Bannerman's drug store, and the office of Dr. Bradford located on the ground floor (Reaves, p.49). The East River Lumber Company and the Red Lyon Lumber Company were chartered in 1907, while the Burgaw Brick Works, Inc., was chartered in 1908 (Reaves, p.41-42). Additional business established in the early twentieth century included the Croom Brother's; the Parry Patent Log Cart Company; Messrs. John F. Moore, J.D. Farrior, and C. Harrell and Sons, all general stores; and J.M. Myers and Company which dealt in ladies furnishings (Reaves, p.44).
The unveiling of the Confederate Monument in 1914 was cause for a big celebration in Burgaw (Reaves, p.55). The monument, originally located at the intersections of Wright and Fremont streets, was moved to the courthouse square in November, 1951.
Continued growth and prosperity in the second decade of the century resulted in the enlargement of stores and the construction of new hotels and schools. In 1917, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad completed additions to the Burgaw depot, including the office of Giles Kornegay, the railroad agent, for a cost of over $5,000.00 (NR 1986). Cars and automobile showrooms began to replace horse and buggies and blacksmith shops. Dees Drugstore, still in existence today, opened their new store on the corner of Wright Street and Courthouse Avenue in 1936 (Library Files, Dees Drug Store). Henry E. Bonitz, an architect from Wilmington, was chosen in 1917 to draw plans for the remodeling of the 1907 Burgaw School. By 1930, Burgaw's population had increased to 1,209 (U.S. Census, 1930).
Although growth slowed during the years of the Great Depression, it recovered shortly thereafter. On January 8, 1935, the demolition of the old Pender County courthouse began with labor supplied by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration. The Public Works Administration oversaw the construction of a new courthouse for Pender County. An elaborate ceremony accompanied the dedication of the new Georgian Revival building on November 7, 1937 (Library Files, Pender County Courthouse). Also in 1937, Roy Rowe, owner of the town's theater, announced plans for a modern air-conditioned theater with a seating capacity of 300 on the ground floor and 150 in the balcony. Westbrook's opened a new dime store in the old Pender Theater (Reaves, p.86-87).
Post-World War II prosperity inspired the opening of new businesses in Burgaw. The 1940s saw the construction of the Harrell Electric Appliance Store, Farrior's Department Store, a new commercial cannery, the opening of the Durham Drug Company, the rebuilding of a new Burgaw Baptist Church and the construction of a new brick building for the members of King Solomon Masonic Lodge No. 138 (Reaves, p.100-105). A hospital site was approved in 1948 with ground breaking for the new Pender Memorial Hospital taking place in January, 1950 (Reaves, p.112).
Civic organizations concentrated on beautifying the town, with the Woman's Club planting several hundred azaleas and dogwoods on the courthouse lawn and around town. The same club was responsible for the erection of fifty-two street signs in town (Reaves, p.112-113). Harrell's Department Store celebrated the grand opening of its newly renovated store in April of 1954, while the Humphrey Brothers, who had operated a store for forty years on the corner of Wright Street and Courthouse Avenue, moved to a new location on Courthouse Avenue (Reaves, p.125, 129). They retired five years later after operating a general merchandise business in Burgaw for fifty-five years (Reaves, p.139).
The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad merged with the Seaboard Air Line Railroad in 1967 to form the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad. As a result of the merger, services were combined and over the next twenty years a number of routes were discontinued and the tracks torn up. Among the losses were all the Atlantic Coast Line routes out of Wilmington. Passenger use of the trains had been declining steadily. On March 1, 1968, the last passenger train pulled out of Wilmington, signaling the end of an era in Burgaw and other small towns which the rail line had serviced.
Burgaw's residential district expanded during the second half of the twentieth century, as new homes were built to accommodate the growing population, which had increased to 1,744 by 1970 (U.S. Population Census, 1970). The Pender County Rescue Squad erected a building on Wilmington Street in May of 1971, while Pender County's new administration building opened in July of 1977 on the corner of East Fremont and South Cowan streets (Reaves, p.181). The announcement in October of 1978 that the new highway, Interstate-40, would pass through Pender County, brought about a new era to the town. With traffic between Raleigh and Wilmington bypassing the business district of Burgaw, the town has reclaimed some of the peacefulness of its earlier days. Burgaw's attractive commercial district along with the beauty of courthouse square has recently prompted the movie industry to use the downtown area as a backdrop setting for several major films.
The low tax rate and relatively low cost of living continues to attract industries to Pender County and the town of Burgaw. In the early 1990s, several major businesses opened, including the W.R. Rayson, Inc., a paper conversion company, and the electronics firm of Wieland North American (Library Files, Industry). While Burgaw welcomes well-planned growth, a major priority includes the retention of the town's remaining historic fabric.
The oldest building in the Burgaw Historic District and one which alludes to the town's founding is the c.1850 Burgaw Depot on South Dickerson Street (NR 1986). The depot is one of only two known pre-Civil War depots still standing in North Carolina. In 1898, as rail operations expanded, the building was enlarged with the addition of passenger waiting rooms and offices to the south, and again, in 1916-1917 with freight and warehouse space to the north. While the entire building is sheathed in a combination of lap and board-and-batten siding, each section retains its original style and integrity, serving as an excellent illustration of the growth of the railroad.
Several pre-1900 houses have survived within the Burgaw Historic District, most notable being the M.M. Moore House (107 North Cowan Street), constructed about 1885. M.M. Moore, elected mayor of Burgaw in 1880, built a two-story late Greek Revival style I-house one block north of the courthouse. During a major c.1903 renovation, the original chimneys were dismantled, rear rooms were added to the main block, and a wrap-around porch replaced the former attached porch. The house portrays the evolution of house styles from more regional/vernacular to nationally-popular styles.
Several additional one-story, turn-of-the-twentieth-century houses, built in a modest late Queen Anne cottage style with multi-gable roofs and wrap-around porches, are dispersed throughout the Burgaw Historic District. The proximity to the railroad allowed easy access to factory-produced framing lumber, weatherboard, paneled doors, turned balusters, and sawn brackets, resulting in ornately decorated cottages. Located one block south of the commercial district, the James H. Moore House at 209 South Walker Street, is a one-story variation of the Queen Anne style, complete with Eastlake decorations and other period features. Decorative gingerbread trim and board-and-batten siding in the front gable contribute to the fanciful flavor of this c.1890 cottage.
The adjoining house also reflects the popularity of the Queen Anne cottage style in Burgaw. The c.1890 Dr. W.I. Taylor House (207 S. Walker Street) retains its multi-gable roof, irregular floor plan, attached wrap-around porch supported by wood posts, and an exterior corbelled chimney. Further manifestations of the Queen Anne cottage-style include the Murphy-Sasser House located at 114 North Cowan Street, with its hipped roof and gabled projections, as well as the O.G. Ferrell House located at 206 East Bridgers Street, an attractive Queen Anne cottage with a variety of wings, roof planes, and a wrap-around porch.
The rapid growth of Burgaw's economy around the turn-of-the-twentieth century fueled a matching building boom. Railroad transportation networks encouraged establishment of new industries and made the acquisition of building materials readily available. A substantial number of houses were built, mostly of frame construction, and initially in the transitional Queen Anne/Colonial Revival style. Like earlier houses, they were relatively modest in size and followed standard single- or double-pile plans with full-size attached porches. Two of the best examples from this period include the 1910 Dr. H.B. Thomas House (299 East Bridgers Street) and the 1910 Jack Brown House (204 E. Bridgers Street), both located on East Bridgers Street. The Dr. H.B. Thomas House is a two-story Colonial Revival with Queen Anne details including a wrap-around porch, twin bay windows, and a high hipped roof. A variation on the theme of its neighbor, the Jack Brown House substitutes a gable-front roof for the hipped roof and a one-story rear wing for the bay windows.
As the town continued to grow and prosper, traditional house forms gave way to the new design of the California or Craftsman Bungalow. Horizontal in orientation, with broad, chunky-columned porches sheltered by deep eaves supported by exposed rafters and triangular knee braces, these predominantly one-story houses promised a new more informal lifestyle. Many fine examples of the Craftsman Bungalow are scattered throughout the Burgaw Historic District. The c.1920 Southerland House, located at 307 East Wilmington Street, exhibits design characteristics generally associated with the California Bungalow including the multi-paned 24/1 sash windows and the tapered moldings around windows and doors.
Reflecting nationally popular tastes, several Colonial Revivals appeared in Burgaw prior to World War II. The c.1940 D.J. Farrior House (302 E. Bridgers Street) provides a handsome two-story brick example with a typical Colonial Revival door surround flanked by 8/8 sash windows. Built somewhat later, the 1948 Dees Tourist Home (115 N. Cowan Street) is a two-story brick Colonial Revival situated on the corner of North Cowan and East Wilmington streets. Three bays wide and five bays deep, the central door is flanked by the traditional sidelights and capped by a graceful fanlight, while paired Tuscan columns support the pedimented portico. Built originally as a tourist home or inn, the upper level features eight bedrooms.
The only Tudor Revival home within the Burgaw Historic District, the 1949 Presbyterian Manse (204 East Fremont Street) is a brick Sears and Roebuck mail order house exhibiting cross-timbering in the gable and a prominent exterior chimney on the front facade. Several Cape Cods, with their steeply pitched roofs and gabled dormers, also made an appearance in the late 1940s including the 1947 Williams House at 215 N. Walker Street and the 1949 Bordeaux House located at 104 North Wright Street.
In and adjacent to the residential areas are a number of churches, which serve as focal points for community life. Originally a simple frame building, the Burgaw Presbyterian Church (200 E. Fremont Street) was rebuilt in 1919, incorporating double towers and pointed arch stained-glass windows. The bottom half is brick veneered, while cedar shake shingles cover the upper level. Also starting out as a frame sanctuary, the 1883 Macedonia African Methodist Episcopal Church (300 North Walker Street) received a face-lift in 1915 when it was enlarged, faced with brick, and incorporated new pointed arch stained-glass windows. The Classical Revival 1928 brick Burgaw Methodist Church (110 E. Bridgers Street) completely replaced an earlier frame building, as did the 1949 brick Classical Revival Burgaw Baptist Church (100 E. Bridgers Street).
Burgaw's early frame stores were gradually replaced with new, one-or two-story brick buildings during the early twentieth century. For the most part, the brick buildings are embellished with corbelled string courses, corbelled cornices, and recessed panels. The 1907 Bank of Pender (100 West Fremont Street), with its stylish details, set a new standard of commercial building for downtown Burgaw. Constructed with white pressed brick, the two-story building exhibits arched windows and a chamfered corner bay. Built in 1913, Harrell's Department Store (107 South Wright Street), displays an interesting mix of orange and red bricks, creating panels of color and texture. Despite the modernization of the first-level entrance, the intact five-bay upper-story sash, stepped-end consoles, and metal crowning cornice express the building's original lively character. The (former) 1913 Humphrey Brothers Store (109 S. Wright Street), located at the northwest intersection of South Wright and West Courthouse Avenue also has preserved its early twentieth century character with its six bays of original two-over-two sash windows, pilastered bays, dog-tooth cornice, and five interior chimney stacks rising above the west parapet. The tripartite J.R. Bannerman Building, at 103/105 West Fremont Street, retains its original clustered upper level 3/1 sash windows, attic vents, stepped parapet and handsome brick work.
Gradual domination of the automobile as a mode of transportation resulted in the construction of several garages and auto showrooms in downtown Burgaw during the 1920s. Built in the Spanish Mission style, the 1924 stuccoed brick R.H. Holland Motor Company Building, at 100 S. Walker Street, displays four arched openings along the principal facade, which rises to a central stepped and peaked parapet.
Also built in the Spanish Mission style, the 1924 Pender County Jail located on the north side of East Wilmington Street is a two-story stuccoed brick building with a symmetrical facade and portico capped by mission tiles. The parapet is accentuated with a centered peak containing a diamond with the date, "1924." The intact second-level metal cells, along with the first level apartment of the jailer attest to the close living quarters of prisoners with their detainers.
In 1934, a Public Works Administration-sponsored Georgian Revival style courthouse on the east side of South Wright Street (NR 1979) replaced the original 1883 building. Designed by W.H. Deitrick of Raleigh, the courthouse is a three-story brick-veneered H-shaped building composed of a hipped-roofed main block flanked by projecting side-gable wings. The main entrance, located in the center bay of the main core is contained in an elaborate broken scroll pedimented surround. Lintels surmount the first floor windows, while those on the second floor are triple hung and set in round arched openings. The Flemish bond field is enlivened by contrasting masonry trim in the form of belt courses, a modillion cornice, and keystones capping window arches. A handsome two-stage wooden cupola surmounts the roof. The interior is defined by restrained Georgian-style trim with flat-panelled wainscotting and molded chair rails and cornices resting on pilasters.
Social clubs made an architectural impact in the 1930s and 1940s. The 1938 Freemason's Building, located at 100 E. Wilmington Street across from courthouse square is a two-story, three-bay brick building featuring paired six-over-six sash windows and a flat roof with a stepped parapet. In 1948, the King Solomon Lodge No. 138 A.F. and A.M. (209 N. Walker Street) built a brick gable-front building laid in 6:1 common bond with a recessed central entrance featuring a double-leaf six-panel door capped by a glass transom.
The Burgaw Historic District is free of industrial buildings which tended to be located on the outskirts of the town. The Burgaw Historic District is a mix of late-nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century commercial buildings and residences, churches, and nationally popularized Bungalows and Colonial Revival-style houses. Modern municipal buildings, as well as several 1950s Ranch houses have replaced some of the town's earlier buildings, but do not detract from the Burgaw Historic District's overall integrity.
Bloodworth, Mattie. History of Pender County. Richmond, Virginia: The Dietz Printing Company, 1947.
Burgaw Depot National Register Nomination, 1986. Raleigh: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, Survey and Planning Branch.
Centennial Booklet Committee. Pender County Centennial 1875-1975. 1975.
Conversations between Charles Harrell and Beth Keane, August and September, 1998.
Conversation between Ann Hoover Dees and Beth Keane, August, 1998.
Pender County Courthouse National Register Nomination, 1979. Raleigh: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, Survey and Planning Branch.
Pender County Library. Collected papers, files, and newspaper clippings from the Local History Collection, Burgaw, North Carolina.
Pender County Survey Report created by Edward Turberg; 1998. Raleigh: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, Survey and Planning Branch.
Reaves, Bill. History of Burgaw, N.C., Centennial Edition, Printed in Wilmington, N.C. 1979.
Survey Files for Pender County created by Edward Turberg and Beth Keane, 1997-1998 Raleigh: North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Archives and History, Survey and Planning Branch.
U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. U.S. census, population schedules, Pender County, North Carolina, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1970.
† Beth Keane, Retrospective, Burgaw Historic District, Pender County, NC, nomination document, 1999, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.