In 1847 Darius Camp and Caius C. Manchester built a puddling-furnace, for making cast iron into wrought iron. Tenement houses were put up for employees of the company, forming a little village which has since born the name of Puddletown. The Connecticut Western Railroad track was laid in what was once a street through this settlement. The expense of transporting iron from Salisbury was so great that the business was not successful, and in 1852 C. C. Manchester, who had become sole proprietor, made an assignment for the benefit of creditors, and the property passed into the hands of Herman Chapin. He conducted the business until 1863 when the furnace burned down.