In Harwinton Village, the Congregational Church was built in 1806. The design is simple but pleasing with a heavily molded cornice of pediment and roof. The 3 front doorways have rounded fanlights and pedimented hoods. Above the central doorway is a Palladian window, repeated in the tower. On the north of the church is a stone Memorial Chapel, beautiful but incongruous, given by Collis P. Huntington, the financier of the Southern Pacific Railroad, in memory of his mother. Huntington was born in the town in 1821, and worked on a farm here until the age of 14, when he went to New York to seek his fortune. The fine Dr. Dennett House, across the green, was built n 1795, and most of the other houses at the center date back to the 18th century. On the hilltop is the Hungerford Memorial Library, a bequest from another native, Theodore A. Hungerford, a New York publisher, in 1903. From the children's library, boxes of books are sent every two months to the 10 schools in the town. About 1 mile south of the church, a dignified building, the old Harwinton Academy, erected about 1793, moved from its original location to a private estate.