Belington's Mayoral Office is located at 505 Crim Avenue, Belington, WV 26250.
The land which Belington now occupies was originally part of 1,400 acres granted to Elias Barker in 1781. Following settlement of the area, it was called Barker's Settlement. Barker, and later his heirs, sold off the land in parcels between 1800 and 1850. The current name of the town, Belington, was adopted in the 1880s for a local merchant named John Bealin. Belington was incorporated in 1894 in the area on the east bank of the Tygart River. In 1897, the area on the west side of the Tygart, where the Wilmoth house is located, was incorporated as Alston. In 1903, the people of Belington tried to have the county seat moved from Philippi to Belington and failed. This dramatically slowed the growth of Belington as compared to Philippi at that time. Then, in 1906, Belington and Alston joined to form present-day Belington.