The Outagamie Courthouse is located at 320 South Walnut Street, Appleton, WI 54911; phone: 920-832-5131.
Outagamie County was established in 1851 from part of Brown County. By 1853, the area around the Fox River that would become the county seat, Appleton, had become home to 4,000 settlers from the East.
The Chippewa word "Utaghamie" translated to "the dwellers on the side of the stream." The dwellers were an enemy tribe known as the Foxes. During the legislation process which formed the county, the name was transformed into Outagamie. In the 1850s the county was heavily timbered with maple, elm, ash and hickory.