Essex Town Hall is located at 81 Main Street, Essex Junction, VT 05452.
The Town of Essex was chartered as early as 1763, but no settlements were made until about 1783. In the spring of that year, Samuel Smith, William Smith, Jonathan Winchell, Dubartis Willard and David Hall came on from Massachusetts and commenced a settlement. The town was officially organized in 1796. In 1791 there were 354 inhabitants. The first town clerk was Elkanah Billings; Abraham Stevens, constable; Dubartis Willard, Justin Day and Joel Wentworth, selectmen.
Upon the banks of the Winooski River, just within the limits of the town, Samuel Smith and his associates located, putting up the first log house, felling the first tree, and planting the first grain.