Caledonia County Courthouse is located at 27 Main Street, Saint Johnsbury, VT 05819; phone: 802-748-6600. Caledonia means "from Scotland," the name being chosen because of the many early settlers of Scottish ancestry.
Caledonia County was organized November 8, 1796, with Danville as its shire town. It was called Caledonia in honor of the numerous emigrants from Scotland, Caledonia being an ancient Roman name for Scotland.
The growth of Saint Johnsbury, the construction of the railroad through the town, and other causes, made it desirable that it should be made the shire town, which was done, and the court house in Saint Johnsbury was erected and first occupied by the court at the December term in 1856.
Caledonia joins with her sister counties in presenting fertile plains, well-watered valleys, health-giving breezes, and never failing harvests, as inducements to Vermont's sons in the West to come home to the mother state, which has enough and to spare for their comfort and sustenance.