Photo: Benjamin and Olivia Meek House, ca. 1898, 2782 South Fort Street, Draper, UT. The Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. Photographed by User: Ntsimp (own work), 2013, [cc-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed July, 2014.
Draper City Hall is located at 1020 East Pioneer Road, Draper Utah 84020; phone: 801‑576‑6500.
When incorporated in 1978, Draper was a small farming community of 4,500 residents situated on about two square miles of land. The community developed as a commerce center for local agricultural activity. There were few paved roads, and daily activities focused on fruit orchards, agriculture, dairy farms, and the downtown area was at the present location of 124th South and 9th East, in the vicinity of the Park School.
The growth surge that Draper has experienced from 1990 to the present is the largest in volume and geographic extent the city has experienced. This growth period occurred when the city quickly changed from a rural, agricultural town into a full fledged suburban city. During this time the city has experienced strong surges of relatively unrestrained growth.
In 1980, the population of the city was 5670, with 1383 housing units spread over 22.8 square miles. By the end of 2000 the population grew to 25,220 (a 345% increase), total housing number grew to 7418 (a 436% increase) city land area increased to 30.2 square miles (a 24% change). Of the 436% increase in housing units, 5414 (73%) were detached, single family dwellings and 2004 (27%) were multi-family and townhouse dwellings.