Sevierville was first settled around 1795 but was not incorporated until 1901. Like the county, the city is named for Tennessee's first governor, John Sevier.
Sevierville was all but destroyed in the fire of 1856. The fire broke out in the county jail and spread quickly to the courthouse and surrounding town. After the fire it was decided to place the new courthouse away from other buildings and a town square was established (Sevier County. In 1887 the city of Sevierville was incorporated, although it was not chartered until 1901, the same year it elected its first mayor. Sevierville experienced tremendous growth during the late 1800s. Between 1890 and 1910 the population of the city went from 283 to 675. In part, this growth was due to the expansion of the logging industry in the county.