Dickson County Administration Offices are located at 4 Court Square, Charlotte, TN 37036. Phone: (615) 789-7000.
Dickson County [†] was formed in 1803 and was named for William Dickson who was at that time a Nashville physician and statesman in the Congress. The first county court met March 19, 1804, in a log house three miles north of Charlotte, and in August 1804, the legislature appointed a commission which included Montgomery Bell and four other well known citizens to decide upon the location of the courthouse, jail and stocks. They were authorized to purchase forty acres of land to proportion as town lots for sale and to use the proceeds to erect the public buildings. Charles Stewart offered to donate fifty acres of land to establish the town and his offer was accepted by the commission primarily because of the abundant supply of water from the spring located on this land. A man named Ash was engaged to survey the hillside property and lay out the plat for town lots. The name Charlotte was chosen in honor of Charlotte Reeves, the wife of James Robertson, founder of Nashville.
† Adapted from: Gail Hammerguist, Architectural Historian, Tennessee Historical Commission, Charlotte Courthouse Square Historic District, nomination document, 1977, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.