Photo: Meng House (Hill House; Clough-Wallace House), ca. 1832, 117 Academy Street, Union, SC. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Photographed by user:User:Bill Fitzpatrick (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2014.
The Union County Courthouse is located at 210 West Main Street, Union, SC 29379; phone: 864-429-1603.
The earliest white inhabitants of present-day Union County were Scots-Irish Presbyterians from Pennsylvania who settled near Fairforest Creek in the early 1750s. The area was included in the Ninety-Six District when seven judicial districts were established in 1769. Union County (named for a "Union Church" shared by several area denominations) was created in this district on 12 March 1785. Union County was part of Ninety-Six District and later Pinckney District until 1800, when judicial districts were abolished and the county became Union District. In 1868 districts were replaced by counties as the major political subdivision in South Carolina, and the district became Union County once more.