Photo: Gunter-Summers House, ca. 1895, 841 Center Street, Lexington, SC. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Photographed by user:Bill Fitzpatrick (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2013.
Lexington Town Hall is located at 111 Maiden Lane, Lexington SC 29072.
The Town of Lexington grew out of a British Colonial government town established in 1735 and named Sax Gotha in honor of the wife of the Prince of Wales, Princess Augusta, who came from the German State of the same name. At the time, Sax Gotha territory covered most of the present day Lexington County. Lexington county itself was established in 1785, the name being changed from Saxe Gotha to Lexington honoring the celebrated Revolutionary War battle in Lexington, Massachusetts.
The original county seat was located at Granby, but moved in 1820 when the present town of Lexington was laid out, then known as Lexington Courthouse. In 1861 the town was incorporated.
Virtually destroyed during 1865, the construction of the Lexington Textile Mill in 1890 was a primary contribution to the ultimate growth of the town.