Mount Jewett Borough Hall is located at 44 West Main Street, Mt. Jewett, PA 16740.
Beginnings [1, 2]
A single-street town with a good-sized business section, surveyed in 1883, the year the railroad arrived. Later, the proposed establishment of a basket factor was opposed by many residents who feared the effects of industrialization. In 1940 the town was heavy with tannery odors. At that time, a high percentage of residents were of Swedish descent.
A post office was established in 1882 with Augustus Mellander as postmaster. O. B. Moser and company tannery was established in 1887.