Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Jermyn Borough

Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania

Jermyn Borough Hall is located at 440 Jefferson Avenue, Jermyn PA 18433.
Phone: 570‑876‑0610.

Neighborhoods

Jermyn Borough was incorporated as Gibsonburg in 1870 from Blakely Township (now Blakely Borough) but changed its name in 1874 in honor of John Jermyn, a wealthy Englishman with mining interests in the area. Jermyn's claim-to-fame as the Birthplace of First Aid came to be in 1899 when Dr. Matthew Shields of the borough developed a simple, but comprehensive method for treating injuries, the result of years of caring for injured miners. [1]

  1. Lackawanna County Department of Planning and Economic Development, County Lines, Scranton, 2008, www.lackawannacounty.org, accessed October, 2009.