Abington Township municipal offices are located at 1 Lake Henry Drive, Waverly PA 18471; phone: 570-586-0111.
In the late 18th century, the area was called Ebbington, named for Colonel Ebbington a Connecticut land agent who granted titles to settlers. The township was created in 1806 and residents adopted the name Abington.
At the center of the town was once the borough of Waverly. Incorporated in 1854, the charter was waived in 1920 and the land reverted to governance by the township. According to the Abington township website, the former borough took its name from Sir Walter Scott's first novel, Waverly, written in 1814. (See: Waverly Historic District)