Indian County Courthouse is located at 825 Philadelphia Street, Indiana PA 15701; phone: 724‑465‑3805.
This county was formed March 30, 1803, of parts of Westmoreland and Lycoming counties. It contains 596,600 acres, and is well watered by many streams. The timber in the east part of the county is white pine, hemlock and spruce pine. In the western part, it is white oak, black oak, red oak, chestnut oak, hickory, poplar, locust, chestnut, cucumber, cherry, walnut and sugar maple. These trees must be the growth of the present century and a half, as, in the earlier days, Indiana county was clear of timber and brush. and clothed with high grass. The mineral resources are iron ore, limestone, salt, bituminous coal, slate, blue sandstone (very hard), and sandstone variegated with brown and red. Numerous salt wells have been constructed, from which salt is manufactured in large quantities. There are several large towns, with fine, wide streets, and magnificent buildings. Population in 1870, 36,138; 1880, 40,950.