Pine Summit, in the western part of the Pine Township, was the most pretentious of the villages here. The first merchant there was R.W. Lyons, who was also the first postmaster, continuing in office from 1866 to 1889. The storekeeper was W.C. Swartz. Simon Whitmoyer opened the first blacksmith shop. His modern successor was H.D. Neupher. The most important industry here was the distillery of J.R. Fowler, operated from 1880 to 1883. Although it made a fine quality of goods, it was too far from railroads to be a success. The last owner in 1910 was James C. Houghton. The townspeople wee served in a mercantile way through the tradesmen of Millville.