Benton Borough Hall, PO Box 520, Benton PA 17814.
An effort was made in 1890 to have Benton incorporated as a borough, but failed. Finally in 1894 the grand jury approved the application and the town was regularly incorporated. On April 2d of that year the following officials were elected: Burgess, A. L. McHenry; councilmen, C. B. McHenry, R. T. Smith, C. A. Wesley, Alfred McHenry, B. G. Keller, W. M. Appleman. The council for 1914 is composed of C. E. Yorks, burgess; G. D. Yost, W. S. Laubach, R. T. Smith, councilmen. Many improvements were made after incorporation, among them being the building of sidewalks and the improvement of the streets, and contracts were let for light and water supply. The town is supplied with electricity by a company of which Charles Bellas is president and manager; C. B. Whitmire, vice president; G. L. Hess, secretary and treasurer. A concrete dam, 280 feet long, has been built at the site of the old Swartwout mill, and the powerhouse contains a 75-kilowatt generator, operated by a 100-horsepower turbine.