Sligo Borough Hall, P.O. Box 241, Sligo PA 16255.
Sligo had its beginning about the time of the formation of Clarion County (1840), and became a thriving community during the Iron Era (1845 to 1873). The first settlers of whom we have record were the Craig and the Reynolds families. At this time, furnaces for the manufacture of pig iron, were being built at various points in the county. William Lyon, Colonel J. P. Lyon and Anthony Shorb built the Sligo furnace in 1845. The name was taken from the Furnace Company's iron works near Pittsburgh, which had in turn received its name from a county in Ireland. The town at that time consisted chiefly of the homes of the Lyons families and their employees, which houses the Millers now occupy.
As the population was steadily increasing, the Furnace Company in 1871, laid plans for a new section. Thomas Berrean Sr. (landscaper for the Lyons families), built the first house which still stands near the railroad station. The Furnace Company constructed the brick building now known as Hodil's store. Two years later the Sligo Hotel was erected. In the same year, the Sligo Branch Railroad was built. A row of houses stood along the railroad tracks and another on Irish Hill. The Methodist and the Presbyterian churches were built in 1873-74, and a two-room public school building was completed in 1875. In 1878, the borough was organized.
With the decay of the furnace, Sligo began seeking new enterprises. About this time it became apparent that the old county Jail would have to be replaced and a strong attempt was made to have the county seat moved to Sligo. A bill was introduced in the Senate Committee, but failed to pass. Several wells were drilled at the time of the oil excitement in the county. No oil was found but the wells produced some gas. At one time the Atlantic Pipe Line Company shipped oil at this point. Near the railroad, J. B. Miller operated a firebrick plant. In later years the inhabitants depended upon the mining of coal and private business for sustenance.
Two schools were in the vicinity around 1871. The one in now Methodist Hall. The other was located on the Ben Miller farm. In 1875 a two-room school was built to which additions were made until in 1924, a four year high school course was offered. As the school progressed, need was felt for a more modern building, which was erected in 1927. More recently the Logue Memorial Auditorium was added.
Prior to the building of the Methodist and the Presbyterian churches (1872-73), services were held in the one room school building. At one time the Catholics met on the fourth floor of the brick store. The Nazarene and the Church of God were since established.
The bank was organized in 1907. At first a Grange Bank, it later became the Sligo National Bank.
George Washington is reputed to have been through this section in 1753 and remarked that the county north of Kittanning would never be fit for human habitation.