Located three miles southwest of Oxford, the village of Nottingham (pop 163) has borne many names. It was first known as Christine after an early Swedish queen. Around 1850 its post office was called Fountain Mills after the mills of the same name established a short distance away by Daniel Stubbs and his son. But when Stubbs became the village's first postmaster in 1851, argument developed over the name because of its similarity with the Fountain Green post office in another part of the township. It was called Fountain Mills until the Baltimore Central established a railroad station called Nottingham in the late 1850's. Then the Fountain Mills post office was moved to the same site as the railroad station and its name was changed to Nottingham in recognition of the township in which it was located.
Baltimore Pike • Christine Road • Old Forge Road