Growing up around a school house in the northeastern part of Warwick Township, this settlement received its name about 1879 when the Brethren and Methodists worshipped there together. They got along so harmoniously that each group was alternately in charge of the Sabbath School until the Methodists erected their own church. With so many places with a similar name in the country, the post office in existence there from March 7, 1888, to Dec. 31 1901, was named Smedley in honor of Smedley Darlington, who was a U. S. Congressman from Chester County. John Plank, who worked for William Noble, superintendent of the French Creek Ore Mines, was the postmaster.
Harmonyville Road • Hill Camp Road • School Road