Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Newlin Twp, Chester County, PA

Mortonville

"Mortonville is a quiet residential village on the east bank of the Western Brandywine about three miles below Coatesville. It was named for the Morton family that settled here in 1840 when Sketchley Morton bought 312 acres of land from Benjamin Newlin. His son, Crosby P. Morton laid out a village, and was its first postmaster when an office was set up in 1852. [1]

  1. Edward Pinkowski, Chester County Place Names, Philadelphia: Sunshine Press, 1962.

Nearby Neighborhoods

Street Names
Mortonville Road • Strasburg Road