Barnsley  (pop. 150). Situated in East Nottingham Township, two miles south of Oxford, Barnsley has an agricultural background. In addition to Beantown and New Prospect, it has been called Bea Town because three of its prominent citizens were members of the Bea family. Fred J. Bea still lives there. The present name originated when the Baltimore and Central established a railroad station there. The first freight cars shunted at the place carried stone for a new barn on the farm of Elmer Reynolds, so he suggested to a railroad official that the station in what was then New Prospect be given a new name. Thus an old English suffix meaning "place of settlement" was added to barn to make Barnsley. In 1887, when a post office was opened, the inhabitants followed the fashion by accepting Barnsley.