The Jim Thorpe Borough Hall is located at 421 North Street, Jim Thorpe PA 18229.
In 1956 the boroughs of Mauch Chunk (Carbon County Seat) and East Mauch Chunk merged forming the borough of Jim Thorpe.
Mauch Chunk, county seat, population 3,666; Indian name means Bear Mountain; first settled in 1815; has one principal street, following the tortuous course of Mauch Chunk Creek as it winds through a narrow gorge between three high, steep, and rocky mountains, averaging 850 feet above the town. The important buildings are directly on this street. Courthouse, Norman, brownstone, quarried at Rockport, Carbon County; built in 1894. Jail, where some of the Molly Maguires were executed. The Dimmick Memorial Library, built in 1890, brick. Churches here and in East Mauch Chunk are unusually handsome. St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal, Gothic, stone, has memorial windows by J. & R. Lamb; the reredos is very beautiful. First Presbyterian, colonial, brick, has a memorial window by John LaFarge, and one by Tiffany. The Immaculate Conception, Roman Catholic, also has fine stained-glass windows. St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal is the oldest church in the town.
Nearby Towns: Bowmanstown Borough • Lehigh Twp • Lehighton Boro • Mahoning Twp • Weatherly Boro •