Saxonburg Borough Hall is located at 420 West Main Street, Saxonburg PA 16056.
Saxonburg Borough, located in Jefferson Township, was incorporated in 1846. It was named after the town in Germany from which the settlers came. In 1832 through the efforts of Charles F. and John A. Roebling, 300 families migrated from Old Saxonburg, Germany, and settled on a 16,000 acre piece of land in Jefferson Township purchased from Sarah Collins, the daughter of Stephen Lowrie.
Those who settled in Saxonburg were the Roeblings, Fred Baehr, A. Eisenhart, G. Kinne, Rev. William Fuhrmann, G. G. Lamb, August Kunz, A. Steubgen, Christian Steubgen, A. C. Bernigan, J. H. Muder, G. Franke, and Charles Talley.
John Roebling was a man talented and trained in architecture and engineering. He studied bridge building in Germany and perfected a method of making wire rope for bridge cables. In 1842, he patented the invention and with John Reidel began the manufacture of rope in Saxonburg.
His invention and his skill in bridge building revolutionized the bridge industry and he became a bridge builder of world renown. He built such famous engineering structures as the suspension bridge across the Niagara River just below the falls and the Brooklyn Bridge connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn. He also built two bridges in Pittsburgh and one at Cincinnati.
His descendants have carried on the work of manufacturing wire cable at Trenton, New Jersey. The first industry at Saxonburg was the Roebling Brick Yard. Present Churches at Saxonburg are the Memorial, and St. Lukes Lutheran.