The historic hamlet of Gruversville was located north of what is now Richlandtown Borough at the source of Cooks Creek. It was named for the Gruver family who once owned the majority of land in the area. The hamlet arose in service of mills which began coming into service sometime in the early 1800s along Cooks Creek. John Gruver's ancestors came to Springfield having previously built mills along the Perkiomen.
In 1861 John Gruver donated a building lot on which a group of dissenters (from the Pleasant Valley Evangelical congregation) built a small brick church.
Other old German Pennsylvania families who were influential in the area included the surnames Hess and Heft.