Solebury was first known as Center Hill due to its location near the geographical center of the township. Most of the village is located on what was once known as the Dawson Tract. In 1681 William Penn deeded 500 acres to Nathaniel Harding, a London basketmaker. In 1719 the heirs of Harding sold the property to John Dawson. Dawson appears to have been the first person to actually live on the tract. The Dawson land was eventually divided into smaller tracts which evolved into the village of Solebury. A post office was established in 1831, but was moved to Centre Bridge in 1845. The post office was reopened in the community in 1882 under the name of Solebury and this name has remained ever since.
Solebury is spread out over a fairly wide area; however, the village center is in the vicinity of the intersection of Upper York and Sugan roads. The one room schoolhouse at the intersection was built about 1756 and is though to be one of the oldest schoolhouses in continuous existence in the United States. A Gothic style stone church is another village landmark. Several well restored stone and frame houses and numerous large street trees are additional assets of Solebury village.
Phillips Mill Road • Sugan Road • Upper York Road