In Durham Village, an old iron furnace (circa 1727) was converted into a grist mill in 1812. By the end of the 20th century it had been restored and owned by Durham Township, and was occupied, in part, by the post office. About 1792 the village is noted on a map as "Backhouse." Richard Backhouse was prominent in the earliest affairs of the Iron Works. At various time the area was also known as Longtown and Steckels. The name Durham came with the establishment of the post office, circa 1832, with Thomas Long as postmaster.
Dogwood Lane • Durham Road • Old Furnace Road