Penn Yan Village Hall is located at 111 Elm Street, Penn Yan NY 14527.
Phone: 315‑536‑3015. The village was incorporated in 1833.
The earliest settlers arrived in the Penn Yan area from Pennsylvania and New England shortly after the Revolutionary War. Penn Yan developed as a center of commerce and agriculture due to its location on a major north-south trade route which linked the eastern seaboard with central and northern New York. The village is located on the Keuka Outlet, a seven-mile-long water course connecting Keuka Lake and Seneca Lake. This waterway was the source of abundant water power and attracted mills, factories, and distilleries at an early date. In the nineteenth century, linseed oil, wool products, wagons and carriages and other goods were manufactured on the Keuka Outlet and on other local streams leading into Keuka Lake. In addition to its industrial importance, Penn Yan became the seat of Yates County in 1823. Extensive commercial development within Penn Yan followed the opening of the Crooked Lake Canal in 1833.
A permanent post office was authorized for Penn Yan in 1908. It is one of twenty-one New York State post offices and post office extensions authorized under the Public Buildings Omnibus Act of 1908.