Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Strykersville

Sheldon Town, Wyoming County, NY

Beginnings [1]

In 1880 Strykersville was a mile-long village consisting mainly of one north-to-south running street. The village derived its name from Garrett Stryker, who, with William Richardson and Philo Stephens, purchased the site of Strykersville about 1808.

By 1880 the village contained a hardware store, 2 dry goods stores, a saloon, 2 blacksmiths, 2 shoe shops, 4 wagon shops, 2 harness shops, a marble works, a hotel, 2 churches, brewery, cabinet shop, sash and blind factory, tin shop, post office, cemetery, cheese factory, 2 saw mills, a grist mill, a cider mill, and an agricultural implements dealer.

  1. History of Wyoming County, N.Y., F. W. Beers & Co., 1880.

Street Names
Bambi Drive • Factory Road • Main Street • Meadow Lane • Route 78 • Sunset Drive