There is a road running east and west and another north and south midway through the town of Sheldon. The crossing marks the geographical center of the town and the location of Sheldon Center. The first church was built and the first store opened here. One or two small stores, a hotel, a post office and a few shops and houses were all that remained in 1880. At that time, the business of the Town of Sheldon was conducted here. [Note: Sheldon Town Hall is still located here, on Centerline Road, in 2010]
The Episcopal Church at Sheldon Center was the first church built in the town. The society dwindled away and the church was burnt down. Ebenezer Jackson and Fitch Chipman helped to organize the church in 1814.
Fitch Chipman, one of the town's original proprietors, was buried here in 1827. At one time Sheldon Center was home to a Masonic Lodge.
Centerline Road • Route 77