Located about 2 miles southeast of Cowlesville, on the banks of the Cayuga Creek, and about 3 miles southwest of Bennington Center, Folsomdale was originally called "West Bennington," and then "Scottsville," from the fact that David Scott was the owner of the land on which the village is located. He was one of the pioneers of the area. It was named Folsondale in honor of John B. Folsom, who was the first postmaster at this place, and subsequently owned all the property formerly owned by Scott. He kept an office in the old Scott Store which had been built by David Scott in 1831. A distillery was built by David Scott in 1931. The first blacksmiths were Baxter & Tinker who came in 1831. In 1832 a tannery was built. John Fitch had built a saw mill and grist mill about 1823. Scott also built the first tavern, in 1834 or 1835.