The first house in this place was erected by Gaius Granger, the father of General Gordon Granger. It is situated in the southwest part of the town and takes its name from Benjamin Joy, of London, England, who was the original owner of Sodus Township, the land office of which was distinct from that of the Pultney estate at Geneva; David Hudson was an early agent of this tract. A saw mill was built here about 1812, and subsequently a shingle mill was operated. In 1895 Joy was a "pleasant rural hamlet, surrounded by good farms, and contained a church, store, post office, district school, and small cluster of houses."
Joy Road • Main Street • Route 229 • Steele Road