Greenwich Town Hall is located at 2 Academy Street, Greenwich NY 12834.
The Town of Greenwich originally comprised parts of the Saratoga, Argyle and Campbell Patents, which were granted in 1684, 1764, and 1783, respectively. The ravages of the French and Indian Wars kept much of the area from being settled until after 1763. One notable exception being the Dutch families who settled along the Hudson River. Beginning in 1776, the Revolutionary War did little to further growth in the Greenwich area.
The area was separated for the Town of Argyle and, in 1803, became the Town of Greenwich. With ample supply of waterpower, the town began to grow. The first water power to come from the Hudson was at Hiram Clark's Mills in 1731. William Mowry, who was brought to the area by Job Whipple, along with Joseph Anthony (father of Susan B. Anthony) and Joseph McClellan, established the second cotton mill in America, and the first in New York state, along the east side of the Battenkill. He later married Whipple's daughter, Lydia.