The hamlet of Warrensburg is located in the town of Warrensburg, in the central southeastern section of Warren County, five miles northwest of Lake George, 156 miles south of Montreal and 216 miles north of New York City. The town is bounded on the north by Chester, on the east by Caldwell and Bolton, on the south by Luzerne, and on the west by Thurman, Stony Creek, and a small part of Saratoga County. The Schroon River, a tributary of the Hudson River, demarcates the northeast boundary of the township. Flowing southerly for some distance and then turning abruptly from a southerly to a westerly course, the Schroon River divides the town into two nearly equal parts. It then flows into the Hudson River, which runs along the entire western boundary of the town.
The hamlet of Warrensburg lies in a narrow valley to the north and south of the Schroon River, the hamlet's principal water resource. Echo Lake is also contained within the boundaries of the survey area, located to the east of Hudson Street. The topography of the approximately three and one-half square mile survey area contained within the hamlet of Warrensburg, is relatively flat, with an elevation of 700 to 789 feet above sea level. This is due to its location on the flood plain of the Schroon River. To the north and south of the Schroon River flood plain, and bordering the hamlet, are mountains ranging from three to six hundred feet in elevation. On the north side of the Hamlet is Hackensack Mountain, rising to approximately 550 feet. On the east and southeast sides of the hamlet are Truesdale and Harrington Hills. To the south is Putney Hill. Because it is part of the glaciated Adirondack Highlands physiographic province, the soils overlying Pre-Cambrian metamorphic bedrock consist of loamy sand formed on former glacial outwash plains. This soil is best suited for recreational uses and is only moderately suited for crop cultivation because of low fertility and droughtiness.
The first activity of some settlers revolved around subsistence agriculture, sawmilling and potash manufacturing. Small farms appeared on land adjacent to the Schroon and Hudson Rivers, and the only structures in the Hamlet were a tavern and store on the site of the Warren House (near the present intersection of Main and Water Streets), built by James Pitt in 1789. During the earliest years of settlement, Warrensburg was called "The Bridge" because it was the site of the only bridge crossing of the Schroon River in Warren County. In this way, beginning with Native American presence in the area, the site, which became known as Warrensburg, continued to have significance as part of an important regional travel route.
An early settler, Joseph Hutchinson, soon had a gristmill in Warrensburg. In 1796, the first church, Methodist Episcopal, was established and church meetings were held in an early schoolhouse, constructed in 1800 in the upper part of the village. The Mixter Blacksmith Shop was constructed on Main Street as early as 1790. The Pitts tavern passed first to James Duell in 1801, and to James Warren in 1804. According to town tradition, Warrensburg was named after this early resident. In addition to an inn, Warren ran an early store and later a potash factory. In 1806, the Warren House became the site of the first post office, with Kitchell Bishop as postmaster. Although Warren drowned in 1811, his widow continued to run the inn.
Elm Street • King Street • Library Avenue • Main Street • Oak Street • Prospect Street • River Street • Smith Street