Chester Town Hall is located at 6307 Main Street (Route 9), Chestertown NY 12817.
Chester was formed from Thurman in 1799. The Hudson River forms the town's western border. The first settlers were Jabez Titus, Gideon Levi, and Jonathan Enos. They were followed by Caleb and Daniel Mead, Isaac Bennett, John Haskings, Obadiah and Benjamin Knapp, Noel Wightman and James Starbuck (or Storbuck) among others. Located along Lake George, the area has always been a popular location for hunting and fishing. A Baptist church was organized in 1796 with the Reverend Jehiel Fox as the first pastor. By 1860 there were 6 churches of various denominations located throughout the town.