Village of the Branch municipal offices are located at 12 Oxford Lane, Smithtown NY 11787.
With a population of approximately 2,000 residents, the Village of the Branch, incorporated in 1927, comprises but a single square mile of land within its boundaries.
Settlement of the Branch dates from ca. 1700 when Joseph Blydenburgh of New York City brought his wife, Deborah Smith — granddaughter of the "Bull Rider" — to Smithtown. They built their home, believed to be the three western bays of the house now known as The Homestead and located near the center of the Village of the Branch Historic District, several miles south of the Nissequogue settlement on what was even then called Middle Country Road.