The village of North Russell is situated near the Canton line, and the immediate locality was settled by nine members of the Knox family, of whom John came in 1805 and with him his son Chester. Joseph Hutchinson, Samuel Clark and his six sons, Rollin Smith, Alvin White and others located in that section of the town, the latter on Rensselaer Creek. On that stream Jacob Hutchins built a log grist mill in 1806. The present mill succeeded the first one, and is operated by Almon Oilman. At a later day Dr. Alanson Ray built a saw mill here for Joseph Pitcairn, which was swept away; but a mill has always been maintained, and is now operated by Almon Oilman in connection with the grist mill farther up the stream. Other saw mills were built and are now operated, one by A. E. Burdick, known as the Robinson mill; and one by A. Gates at what is called "Palmerville;" and one by Chester Van Ornam at what is called "Silver Hill." The post-office was established in February, 1848, with Linus Clark, postmaster. Clark Brothers (Linus and Leland) carry on a mercantile business, and one of the cheese factories is established here.
Russell-Martin Corners Road • West Road