Delanson Village Hall is located at 1797 Main Street, Delanson, NY 12053; phone: 518-895-2100.
The village of Delanson, settled in 1861 when construction of the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad was begun, is located in the south-central section of the town of Duanesburg, one-half mile north of the hamlet of Quaker Street. Its Main Street is Route 395, running north from Quaker Street to Route 20. The Delaware & Hudson Railroad runs southwest to northwest, following the course of the Normanskill through the village. The Delanson Historic District is located in the flat area between the railroad and the steep southern escarpment of the Normanskill.
Typical of trackside hamlets, Delanson's growth waned as abruptly as it had begun. The decreased use of rail transportation and the subsequent demise of the coal yards in 1936 caused a dramatic loss of employment and a general decline in Delanson's economic prosperity. Today it is primarily a bedroom community for employees in Schenectady and Albany. Lack of substantial mid-twentieth century development has preserved sections of historic Delanson; the Delanson Historic District retains the late nineteenth century character of a fashionable, residential neighborhood.
Copyright © 1997-2019 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 13951 • Privacy