Palisades is the southernmost hamlet in Rockland County. It is located on the northern slope of the Palisades ridge. The topography consists of a large plateau situated atop the Palisades escarpment and a narrow valley that slopes precipitously down to the Hudson River. Essentially the New York portion of the 3410 acres patented to George Lockhart in 1665; in the mid-eighteenth century the lands were sold off as parcels and opened for settlement. A large tract of 150 acres along the Hudson was purchased by Robert Sneden. Most of the rest of the land was sold to the Post, Willsey, Mann, Gesner, and Hagen families.
Closter Road • Oak Tree Road • Route 9W • Washington Spring Road