Ava Town Hall, Ava NY 13303.
The town of Ava, situated along the northern boundary of Oneida County, was formed from the Town of Boonville in 1846 and was the second to last town in the county to be established. Settlement began in 1797 and by 1870, population totalled 1160. By the mid-nineteenth century, the town had developed a diversified agricultural economy with an emphasis on lumber and the production and export of cheese. The population of the town was almost exclusively located on farms, however, a small hamlet emerged at the geographic center of the town to provide basic services. Referred to as Ava Corners and Ava Post Office, the hamlet was described in statistical accounts and maps between 1860 and 1874 as including 20 houses, a post office, a hotel, a carriage house, a harness shop, a tin shop, a store, a schoolhouse and a cheese factory. A Methodist Episcopal Church was built in the hamlet in 1867.