Lewiston Village Hall is located at 145 North 4th Street, Lewiston NY 14092.
The area that would become Lewiston was known by local Indians as Yehewakwatha. It is located on the Niagara River, about a 10-minute drive north of Niagara Falls. The village was named for Morgan Lewis who served as Governor of New York from 1804 to 1807.
An Indian raid in 1813 virtually demolished the village. As settlement revived, taverns were among the first businesses to be re-established. An early tavern opened in 1816, and others followed. Two of the most prominent men in town, Benjamin and Samuel Barton, joined by one of the early merchants, Joshua Fairbanks, were responsible for establishing the Frontier House which opened in 1826.