Fort Plain Village Hall is located at 168 Canal Street, Fort Plain NY 13339.
The village is named for the military post, built in 1776, about a half a mile outside of the village. One of the first houses in the village was erected about 1738 for the sons of Governor George Clark (N.Y. governor from 1736-1743). John Abeel, an Indian trader who spent time among the Senecas, settled near Fort Plain in 1757.
Isaac Soule kept a small tavern here in 1804 and in 1805 Joseph Wagner opened a public house which was kept as a hotel until 1850. Dr. Joshua Webster came from Scarsborough Maine about 1797. Peter J. Wagner was the first lawyer to settle here.
The village was incorporated in April of 1832. At the time, there were about 400 inhabitants.